Independence Day

A dedicated spot to discuss serious issues.
-MissS-
Administrator

Independence Day

Post by -MissS- » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:07 pm

Not sure how many people would even think of this.

And I'm not sure if there is anyone on this website who is even bothered about it either.

But does anybody think we're forgetting a lot of the sad side of partition too?

Of course it's a cause for celebration that India was finally freed from British Rule in 1947, Pakistan became a homeland for those who wanted it, but at the same time, the people of India were torn in half metaphorically speaking (mostly due to dirty politics).

Does anybody ever think of the horrific happenings that happened when India and Pakistan became independent, and Kashmir became so disputed over? Or about the friction that has stemmed between Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs since this event? There was a time in my own mother's village, where the eldest person would be most respected and in charge, regardless of whether they were Hindu, Muslim or Sikh. And I doubt that would be the case now - everyone seems to discriminate against everbody else.

Since partition, there were thousands of cases of murder, the rape of women and children.. all based on the label of religion.

Is anybody aware of one of the most significant happenings after Pakistan and India became independent - the trains arriving to another city full of masacared bodies?

To me, independence day for both Pakistan and India is both a happy and sad thing. But it feels like a lot of people are forgetting the real history behind all of this and are over-indulging in the happiness of it.

We're 59 years on from the event, and it feels like only our parents generation know a little from their parents about what took place. There are still plenty of widows and orphans who are mentally scarred today, but soon they may be forgotton by the next generation.

People are so happy about partition, but at what price? Was it worth it?

Serious and mature views would be welcome :) This is not meant to be a religious discussion (as per rules of this forum), so please stick to the topic.
Last edited by -MissS- on Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember where you heard it first - AsianMix.net

aaishy
AM Newbie

Post by aaishy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:32 am

yes i now wats ur point but also u shud c that we pakistanis now have a free land 2 ow selvz that we also love ................

Kali
AM Newbie

Post by Kali » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:11 am

I agree with -MissS-. It's horrible that people don't seem to remember the harsher side of Independence Day and what it cost the people who lived in those countries, be they Hindu, Muslim or Sikh.

Either way, happy independance day.

-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:15 pm

aaishy wrote: yes i now wats ur point but also u shud c that we pakistanis now have a free land 2 ow selvz that we also love ................

I'm not denying that, I'm questioning why people forget the price of it. Of course it's all well and good you have your own homeland now, but think of all the violence that has gone on since then. There was a time before the British came to India, where Hindus Muslims and Sikhs were actually living in synergy. Then it got messed up again by partition.

Everybody seems to see a religion as the deciding factor of difference between two people now, nobody seems to see that we're all one; A life is a life.
Last edited by -MissS- on Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SEXC_BOI
Settled In

Post by SEXC_BOI » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:56 am

-MissS- wrote:
aaishy wrote: yes i now wats ur point but also u shud c that we pakistanis now have a free land 2 ow selvz that we also love ................
<span style='color:pink'>I'm not denying that, I'm questioning why people forget the price of it. Of course it's all well and good you have your own homeland now, but think of all the violence that has gone on since then. There was a time before the British came to India, where Hindus Muslims and Sikhs were actually living in synergy. Then it got messed up again by partition.

Everybody seems to see a religion as the deciding factor of difference between two people now, nobody seems to see that we're all one; A life is a life. </span>
Hmm yh very true, old post i know and im replying a bit late :$ but i was bored in col :) anyways i totally believe in this opinion portrayed by miss s as it doesnt matter what religion anyone is, i am actually sad at the fact there was a partition, as they say there is always more than enough to go around and im sure we could have all lived in harmony even with todays hectic lifestyle demands! Im told to look to the future with hope so all i can say to this is who knows maybe one day we may agian see another united india and pakistan, i wonder what it maybe called Indistan, Pakia or even Indpak:P

-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:09 pm

I very much doubt that the two countries would ever unite again. Because Pakistan was once India, therefore Indians would not want to totally rename the whole of India, and Pakistanis would not necessarily want their land renamed either.

I think in recent years, the Indo-Pak relationship has improved a lot more, and there are more friendly exchanges in professional services even, eg some of you may have heard about a recent healthcare scheme that was was being provided from India to Pakistan in order to just help the PEOPLE!

I think the whole situation has changed now: India and Pakistan will always be separate countries, and the majority of the natives of each country who live in major cities are now seeing eye-to-eye (nobody wants violence anymore), and it's just the extremist people who can't let go who are the problem now, and also (this is going to sound really sad, but it's true), I would say there is WAY more Indo-Pak tension in the freaking UK than back home!! People over here are so stuck in the past!!!! And don't deny it, cos you KNOW that South Asians are far more racist over here!

SEXC_BOI
Settled In

Post by SEXC_BOI » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:46 pm

-MissS- wrote:I very much doubt that the two countries would ever unite again. Because Pakistan was once India, therefore Indians would not want to totally rename the whole of India, and Pakistanis would not necessarily want their land renamed either.

I think in recent years, the Indo-Pak relationship has improved a lot more, and there are more friendly exchanges in professional services even, eg some of you may have heard about a recent healthcare scheme that was was being provided from India to Pakistan in order to just help the PEOPLE!

I think the whole situation has changed now: India and Pakistan will always be separate countries, and the majority of the natives of each country who live in major cities are now seeing eye-to-eye (nobody wants violence anymore), and it's just the extremist people who can't let go who are the problem now, and also (this is going to sound really sad, but it's true), I would say there is WAY more Indo-Pak tension in the freaking UK than back home!! People over here are so stuck in the past!!!! And don't deny it, cos you KNOW that South Asians are far more racist over here!
Yh i huess that is true because south asians here have a lot more freedom and some might even say arrogance, i recently read pakistan and india are planning to take friendship onto a whole new level by exchanging artillary e.g. missiles, rockets, fighter planes and jets. whether this is a godd idea or not is another matter but the fact that they are planning on doing this ia another revelation in the indo-pak relationship. i just hope they dont get too far ahead of themselves and we all end up back to square 1!

Dr-evil
Diamond Member

Post by Dr-evil » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:29 pm

MissS its true no one remembers the "ghadar" but celebrate independence in a big way, they forgot how many families were torn apart and misplaced on either sides of the boarder, and the rape of women and the killing of men. A read an artcile where it told how two sikh brothers met after 50 odd years after the partition one was left in Pakistan while the other ended up in India (i'll try and find the link)

The worst fighting happened in the Punjab region and this was due to the fact Sikhs were majority in cities such as Lahore and Amritsar and it was widely known that when the partition was gonna happen the Punjab was going to be spilt into half and both sides had a claim on punjab. (not sure but a heard sikhs from india go to perform pilgrimage to one of their Guru's birthplaces in Pakistan's punjab)

Whether your pakistani or indian we should always remember are roots are the same regradless the fact were from two different countries, we have a really similar culture and the only main difference is religion.

Also even now in both Pakistan and India Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus and Christains are living side by side like they done hundreds of years before.

Personally a think Kashmir is the only factor which prevents the countries from fully uniting together.
Vice President of the Ladoo Crew.

cuzzy
Silver Member

Post by cuzzy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:10 pm

most people celebrate for the sake of it espicially the youth they dont seem to have the knowledge behind all these events....why it hapened? who was involved? i think tis important to leran about the history of an independant country like dont just celebrate for the sake of it :roll:

Basit

Post by Basit » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:56 pm

Us people nowadays jus see it all as 'Azaadi' we dnt actually think bout the people all dem years ago that put their hearts and minds to defend our land to make it independent and to make sure in the future people have sumtin to luk at as there 'own place' thnks for the topic anyway im sure it got most of us thinking :)