Would You Be Offended?

A dedicated spot to discuss serious issues.

Would You Be Offended?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 21

hacker
Radio Presenter

Post by hacker » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:05 pm

No coz it's just a shortened word for the word pakistani...

edited : Also you can usually tell from the way someone says it... So it's usually the rest of the stuff which is offensive not the word itself... But the word is usually used in racially motivated abuse...
Last edited by hacker on Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keepin it real...

shakil
Diamond Member

Post by shakil » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Depends who called it and why...and how

If a non-paki that you dont know said it I would take it offensive because thats what their intention was!

SEXC_BOI
Settled In

Post by SEXC_BOI » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:34 pm

depends really on the situation i guess, like someone said before if its a non-pakistani saying it then your probably more likely to find it offensive, personally speaking i don't really find it racist, its just a shortened word for pakistani like hacker said and over the years people have deemed it to be racist!

-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:46 pm

I agree - it depends on the context and what the person's intentions are.

However, I've voted no. If an asian calls me that, it's like yeah whatever, haha very funny. If a gora calls me that, I've actually learnt to brush it off as their ignorance, cos I'm actually Indian, even though they still can't seem to tell the difference.

When used with bad intentions, it's just showing the other person's lack of intelligent vocabulary, so I hope that nobody gets too upset by it. If you get upset, then they've won!
Remember where you heard it first - AsianMix.net

shakil
Diamond Member

Post by shakil » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:55 pm

-MissS- wrote:If you get upset, then they've won!
Depends what you do when you upset

shakil
Diamond Member

Post by shakil » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:00 am

Because its another way of saying "go back where you came from" or make them feel they not british or wanted

Mainly because when they say paki they want it to be offensive, and anything said with intention of being offensive would be offensive

SEXC_BOI
Settled In

Post by SEXC_BOI » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:24 am

I dont really know whether it would necessarily imply the fact go back to your own country but i can see where your coming from. I agree that if you do respond or get angry it just shows that they have simply won because their aim was to get that response from you and all you have done is given the idiot(s) the pleasure of mocking you! The best way i feel to p**s them off is to ignoe them that way they'll feel like a prat and end up giving up!

Dr-evil
Diamond Member

Post by Dr-evil » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:43 am

paki means pure

you wouldn't be offenced if someone calls you pure, now would you?
Vice President of the Ladoo Crew.

SEXC_BOI
Settled In

Post by SEXC_BOI » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:05 am

lol exactly dr evil :P something tells me your comment contains a bit of cynicism :P

shakil
Diamond Member

Post by shakil » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:47 pm

SEXC_BOI wrote:I agree that if you do respond or get angry it just shows that they have simply won
Like I said before depends what you do when you angry

If you beat the cr*p out of them then I dont really think they've won - but they will hate more

-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:28 pm

Shakil..... to me, them winning is them making out that you're worse than them, and then you proving it.

If the only way you can retaliate is by "beating the crap out of them", then yeah, they have won. Cos you've just shown your limited vocabulary and intelligence to deal with it another way. It's hard to ignore someone, and that's why it's more respectful to ignore.. cos it's too easy to give in to anger and beat the crap out of them.

So yeah, beat em up = they won, and you're a sore loser who has no other intelligent and wise way to handle the situation.

No offence intended, I just don't think that's something that should be encouraged amongst anyone, regardless of race.
Remember where you heard it first - AsianMix.net

Dr-evil
Diamond Member

Post by Dr-evil » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:26 pm

SEXC_BOI wrote:lol exactly dr evil :P something tells me your comment contains a bit of cynicism :P
LoL there was nothing cynical about my post, a was just stating the facts :P
Vice President of the Ladoo Crew.

SEXC_BOI
Settled In

Post by SEXC_BOI » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:42 am

Dr-evil wrote:paki means pure

you wouldn't be offenced if someone calls you pure, now would you?
Hmm are you sure :P ok then my mistake :oops:

noorie69
Platinum Member

Post by noorie69 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:01 pm

i wouldn't get offended, like the other people above have already stated, it matters on the context and the intentions of the people saying it.

if its a chat with mates then its just a joke as someone has already mentioned above that paki is just short for pakistani.

if some random guy came upto me and randomly called me a paki i still wouldn't bother. just ignore them and walk past init. they are only saying that to get a heated response, if they receive a heated response it just makes them big-headed into thinking that they have the power to do that to someone when really it shows their lack of intelligence as that is a form of racial discrimination. the best thing to do in that situation is just to ignore them and walk past, they soon learn to shut up as they are not being heard hehehehehe makes them feel bad for saying it because they are then ignored which might give them some sense and next time hopefully they won't say it...
**bak 2 rule the world .. !!**

paki_girl_19
Advanced Member

Post by paki_girl_19 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:03 pm

Truthfully if a pakistani called me a p*ki i wouldny really care

But if a person who isnt pakistani then i would get offended!! Depends on the situation and intentions though
Be what you want and say what u feel.. because those who matter dont mind and those who mind dont matter....