GRAFFITI - Expression or Vandalism?

A dedicated spot to discuss serious issues.

Expression
63%
Vandalism
38%

Total votes: 8

krazzie_ammo
Gold Member

Post by krazzie_ammo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:56 pm

I was just wondering what your views are on graffiti? I'm not talking about little tags on bus stops but those that hit crazy spots and generally get their name up.

There are many types of graffiti, from pieces to throw-ups to wheatpastes, so I will try an break it down into a couple of questions.

1. Do you think that graffiti is a valid way of expression or down right vandalism?

2. Do you think that those that do graffiti for money, for example COPE2 or MARK ECKO are just selfish sell outs or are they just trying to make some money?

3. Do you think that legal walls are enough to stop graffiti? I have heard that many policemen use legal walls to arrest local graffiti writers, is this wrong?

4. What are your views on the public sterotype that graffiti leads to gang violence? Does it, doesn't it?

5. What does graffiti mean to you? e.g. a waste of time or something that has caught your eye on the streets.

Ok, thats enough for now :)

I will add my opinion later, I have to get off now!
President of the Ladoo Crew.

cuzzy
Silver Member

Post by cuzzy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:09 am

i think the intention when doing Graffiti can be judged...people can do graffiti for different reasons....i think tis a great form of art but it can damage the environment so alot of advantages and disadvantages have to be considered... :roll:

krazzie_ammo
Gold Member

Post by krazzie_ammo » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:08 pm

thats a good point, but i think that graffiti is always done for the same reason, YOUR EGO. its just good seeing your own stuff around town and the buzz you get from going out and hitting good spots.
President of the Ladoo Crew.

cuzzy
Silver Member

Post by cuzzy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:41 pm

hmm yeah...
small tagz eg names and that on bus stops, walls etc - i hate it because it makes the area look tacky..say if graffiti was used to get a message across then in my opinion it is acceptable
everyday graffiti viewed by the public on bins, walls, doors etc its all useless and even though people get a buzz out of it dont they realise that it is the tax payers money that is spent each and every year trying to get rid of it..this money could be used on better things
if graffiti was used to express something that means it wouldnt be removed eg a sign of rememberance for a specific occasion<-- thats acceptable but getting a 'buzz; out of it is useless and stupid :roll:

@ni$h@
Silver Member

Post by @ni$h@ » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:41 am

depenz on where da grafitti is... i mean dnt go round vandalisin property which aint urs.... bt hey u wanna do graffiti in ur home.. go for it... or on paper... or on sumthin which dnt affect oda ppl in a bad way... i mean it cost money to get rid of it... yer sure sumtimes it luks sik... bt nt always... sum ppl gt paid to gt graffiti dun... i mean ders a car park close to my house which is "decorated" wid graffiti... its personal choice... der property der business... bt things like on buses... random walls nd sh*t like dat aint gd cos den we pay to gt rid of it... taxes nd cr*p increase... correct me if im wrong... oooo to end on a lite note.. ppl frm london.. seen dat bridge ermmm near kilburn park station or is it stonebridge... covered or shall i say "decorated" in graffiti... nd for once dnt luk dat bad :wink: okies i think i write too much :oops: yer imma stop... xxx
brown nd proud! :)

cuzzy
Silver Member

Post by cuzzy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:28 pm

anisha ders no limit to how much you can pst so feel free :wink:
if graffiti is used to express something then i think tis acceptable eg to symbolise something - but stupid tag names on local objects is plain stupidity :roll:

Basit

Post by Basit » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:25 pm

damages the enviroment and makes it a worse place fo other ... dnt you think that shud b considered 1st before they put der 'logos' or names up on public walls or sum1 else walls. Plus the tax money that is used to clean graffiti cud b used to tackle other issues

Brown Eyed Beauty
Advanced Member

Post by Brown Eyed Beauty » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:21 am

ooh omg theres this dude right an islamic grafitti artist dude called Muhamme(a?)d Ali but like his stuff is so cool!

grafitti can be considered an art e.g. this guy in london i dont no wat his name was but people used to come from all over the world 2 see his work cos they were like spray-painted Mona Lisas and stuff right the real deal..and krazie_ammo he wasnt getting paid so it was his own choice :P he got offered a lot of money by some1 to do their street but he never came forward to take it cos no1 knows wah he looks like.. spooky eh?

but its true some kids these days jus grab a can/magic marker thing and go wild.. tsk tis not good especially as it comes outta tax-payers money while those kids carry on and wat annoys me the most yeah is wen people just swear in their mesges.. tis like come on man thats jus lame :| sometimes its strange.. theres this wall down our ends sayin "KELLY WILL U MARRY ME?" in bright pink grafiti.. i dunno if that was a joke or serious.. but erm its not a good way 2 pull girls :$ x

-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:49 pm

It's graffitti if it's done in an area that a taxpayer paid for, whether it's considered art or not.

It's art when they do it on their own canvases without spray painting all over somebody else's building.
Remember where you heard it first - AsianMix.net

optimus_prime
AM Newbie

Post by optimus_prime » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:53 pm

Yea, i agree its graffiti if they want to express themselves they should do it on their own walls.

-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:31 pm

2. Do you think that those that do graffiti for money, for example COPE2 or MARK ECKO are just selfish sell outs or are they just trying to make some money?
Ammo, I found this point of yours particularly amusing. Who ISN'T trying to make money? It's not selfish, it's what people do - make money!
Remember where you heard it first - AsianMix.net

* Adnan *
Gold Member

Post by * Adnan * » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:49 pm

I think its vandilysm