UK Asians "do not feel British"

A dedicated spot to discuss serious issues.

Do you feel British?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 12

-MissS-
Administrator

UK Asians "do not feel British"

Post by -MissS- » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:12 am

How do you personally feel about this? Let's see what our own Asian Mix poll turns out like! :)

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6921534.stm
Over a third of British Asians do not feel British, a BBC poll suggests.

The research for the Asian Network discovered 38% of the UK residents of South Asian origin polled felt only slightly or not at all British.

Over a third agreed that to get on in the UK they needed to be a "coconut", a term for somebody who is "brown on the outside but white on the inside".

Yet 84% are satisfied with life in Britain and almost half think they have more opportunities here.

Half of the South Asians and nearly two-thirds of the white people interviewed agreed it was too easy for immigrants to settle in Britain.
Remember where you heard it first - AsianMix.net

C.I.A
AM Newbie

Post by C.I.A » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:04 am

hmm interesting topic, personally speaking i 100% see myself as a British Asian and feel very British, whether this is right or wrong as some people would argue is another matter! I do believe it is far too easy for illegal immigrants to setlle here in the UK but then the UK has always been soft on such issues and i do think they will have to change their ways if we are to curb the financial side i.e. interest rates! I dont see why anyone living in britain should not feel british, i heard that they are plannin a special day where we celebrate being british, hope that goes ahead :P

rija;
AM Newbie

Post by rija; » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:42 pm

I most certainly feel British.. I'm proud to call myself a British Asian, and don't believe life in terms of opportunities is any different for British Asians here in the UK than it is for any other British. Maybe, here or there asians are judged upon them being asian and are not given certain opportunities, but I believe that can be the case with anyone.. Males/Females also come across the same crap.
:roll:

SparkyDarky
Radio Presenter
Facebook: AsianMixRadio

Post by SparkyDarky » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:01 pm

i dont feel british in a british country & i dont ever think i will class myself as 1. when peepz ask me where am from me be quick nuff 2 say ' am born in london but my roots are from india'

i think i dont class myself to be british for various reasons, you walk down d road n you see British White people giving it large n fulla hate with racist comments pssh, when it comes to them visiting my country they Get Respect no matter what colour they are hmmm i saw d news that nyt they gave them poll Result but i still think theres alot more people who Dnt class themself to be British.

What i think most Asian's Are doing is Saving up there Cash from their bussiness etc & leaving Uk altogether & investing there hard working Money into Another Country

Mite aswell use n Abuse d British & then Dump them they do it to us on a daily

cuzzy
Silver Member

Post by cuzzy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:02 pm

lol Sparky true say.....all the hatred and racist comments we recieve in Britain wen we go out tis like :shock:
when the British go over to our countries you dont see back home people being racist
pshht:@:@

cutieepiee
AM Newbie

Post by cutieepiee » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:10 pm

urmmm mayb have been growned up in london buh i wouldnt say am british or in a way i doo coz lyk i been in london since i woz born n brought up in a london way because if i woz in india i would b very very different from the way i am! basically london influences u to change coz it has to meee until sparkyyy d woz chatting to me about sumting n he made me relise wa the hell am i doing! soo sparkyyyyy thankxx for making me relise ma mistakee am very sooorryyyyy :( :oops:

Brown Eyed Beauty
Advanced Member

Post by Brown Eyed Beauty » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:36 am

Good topic.

Personally being brought up in London, I've always considered myself British, but one of my friends asked me something and I started thinking twice about it. He asked me if my family were immigrants.. to which i naturally replied yes. My whole family are British Passport holders but we're Asian overall. Then he asked something that hit me pretty hard:

"So in Britain you're seen as an Asian, but if you go to Pakistan or something you're seen as a British citezan because of your passport?"

That's pretty true. Some British Asians feel they don't belong anywhere.. Also another thing I feel quite strongly about is people using the word "freshy" or "yardie" so freely nowadays. That affects how proud people are of their heritage because I've seen people who i've known for years to speak fluent urdu, and as soon as they're with their lads they act like they dont no a single word of it :S on the other hand you also get those who abuse that and call their non-Asian peers swearwords in Hindi. We can't even do that anymore since everyone in our area now knows the meaning of every single Asian swear word :| LOL not that i'd swear at anyone :$..