Parents

A dedicated spot to discuss serious issues.
shakil
Diamond Member

Post by shakil » Mon May 08, 2006 8:47 pm

i remember when i was a little kid i wanted to be a dustbin man...easy job and not so bad pay :D but as u grow up u realize alot of things...

x!Zubda!x
Advanced Member

Post by x!Zubda!x » Mon May 08, 2006 9:24 pm

Lmaooo!! Shakil u too Funny!!.. hehe..

Lolzz... my parents always pressurise me :o my dad wants me to go into law.. and my mum in to doctory!!.. Like NO!!... i dnt wanna do either..!!.. i wanna be sumink fun!!.. something different!.. u know?

its like.. my options...my dad decided evryfink filled it in on the forms and told me to take it inot school.. like wheres my say? :o its me whos learning.. i dont wanna do economics... i enjoy drama.. i dnt wanna know history id much rather do geography!!.. :(

so i tried to sit down and talk 2 him.. he listened to me go na nd give him my facts and etc etc.. and wen id finished he goes have u finished? i goes dad? he goes take the form in tomorrow.. they're what ur best at!!..

Like omg!!.. Whats ur Bladdy problem? my life my decisionz maybe?::$ Arghhhhh!!.. aneways.. i dread 2 fink what happens wen i go on to university and a-levells and all...

Zubda!!.. Mum And Dad Decision Protected

ZMADDP!! GRRRR :ph34r: Lolzz....!! Ahhh well.. maybe they know whats bets for us? Heyy.. ane1 out there thats actually been guided by mum n dad all the way through.. whos actually got a job they enjoy now.. and have actually succeeeded?

Am just curious!:D lemme know.. hehe :P :D

-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Mon May 08, 2006 9:33 pm

<span style='color:pink'>
Yeah Zubda I know plenty of people (a lot of my cousins) who've done what their parents have said and have become really successful. Perhaps it's easier to follow the advice of your parents if you don't already have another interest. Or perhaps some people are just adaptable enough to do anything life throws at them ;)

I think everyone would like to be something glamorous somewhere down the line anyway. Eg, something like medicine, once you got your degree and you've done the pre-reg, you're laughing on £40K and upwards.

I think the problem is a lot of us don't want to make the sacrifice tho - 4 to 7 years of pure hard work. If the degree wasn't so hard to get in the first place, would you do it then?

Overall though, I still think people should rely on what they're good at and love passionately (provided it can provide you with a stable career). If you can prove you're good enough at it, the money will follow anyway.

End of the day - the world runs on money. If you don't have it, you don't stand out in soceity. Money isn't everything, but it definately helps! And it's all about social status, especially when you're Asian in a white country.

I think - do what you like, but be GOOD at it!</span>
Remember where you heard it first - AsianMix.net

Dj_Shawn
Settled In

Post by Dj_Shawn » Wed May 31, 2006 11:29 am

Its funny... start of Uni. Mom n dad come up to me and are like " Puthra koi vadhyea career choose kharna apna time na krav khari... koi engineering course lala, ja doctor da, kuch vadyea be saray khan oh dekho Shawn, Satish da munda jareya..." so for those who don’t understand what he said... here it us "son pick a good career to get into, do not waist your time... pick some engineering classes or medical type classes, do something good so that when people see you they say oh look there goes Shawn, Satish's son...” He then asked me what I was thinking of doing and I told him I wanted to get into police work he was surprised as I am not in the best shape and I told him how I was gonna get in to shape and everything which I have surprisingly lol. The whole time he was talking and stuffs I couldn’t keep a straight face it was pretty funny.... So it was easy for me I dunno how cuz my parents so old school... but the main thing I got der support 100% of the way.

Senorita
Advanced Member

Post by Senorita » Wed May 31, 2006 3:47 pm

Zubda

They only have your best interest at heart !!

maybe for your options he thought you would do better in particular subjects...

well i cant exactly help you lol i had the saaaaaaame thing
<b>You Must Carry A Chaos Inside You To Give Birth To A Dancing Star - Nietzsche</b>

Miss Sweety
Settled In

Post by Miss Sweety » Wed May 31, 2006 5:50 pm

i jus finished readin all ur comments lol damn dat was longgg...its soo tru so r rentz luv tellin us wat 2 do or as they call it "guidance" lol

wen i chose ma gcse's...teacha sed ur predicted A* 4 music bt oh no puthar dnt take dat...wares music gunna get u in life? i mean wtf man it was an easy A*!!!!!!!! i didnt even try in the lesson! i hate french bt im good at it...i was lookin soo forward 2 droppin it at start of yer 10 bt nooo mom sed a lang is good 4 lata on in life...i ended up doin wat they sed tho cus i jus like 2 keep dem happy man... its "4 ur benefit not ours" so i guess they tryna get me on2 a ryt path in lyf...ima jus keep em happi cus das wat matterz 2 mee :D even if it is damn annoying bt i get nefin n evryfin i want its da least i cud dooooo lol :D

krazzie_ammo
Gold Member

Post by krazzie_ammo » Wed May 31, 2006 7:13 pm

yeah, but looking from a parents view point they know what is best for you, even if you don't agree. they want you to do "typical" jobs like medicine and dentistry because they know that they are well-respected and highly paid jobs and they only want the best for you. they have never heard of media and other degrees and are scared that you won't be paid enough, therefore you won't be happy. they are scared because they don't understand what the degrees are about. like, when you are in the dark, you are scared because you can't see what is happening. same with parents, they don't know what is happening, so they are scared.

when i say scared, i mean that they are concerned about your future. parents have lived longer and have been there beside you throughout your life and don't want you to mess it up, they only want the best for you.

i'm only writing this because throught this post there have only been views from youths. lol, saying that im only 14 but still, you can't argue with only one side of the argument.
President of the Ladoo Crew.

Platinum_Pwincess
Platinum Member

Post by Platinum_Pwincess » Wed May 31, 2006 7:50 pm

i totally agree wiv u krazzie...all parents want da bst 4 der child.

ma parents boss me around alot...der neva happy wiv da grades i get even if i get 1 stupid pathetic fing wrong dat doesnt rely matta (u no one of dos weekly exams) dey go berserk. :angry: n den dey lecture me 4 agessss.

am only in yr 10 n der worried bout ma future already. :(
n weneva i talk 2 em dey alwayz bring dis subject up bout wot i shud becom in da future...n dey giv me a list of job n careers......n all dat stuff and den sometimes der lyk its ur life so u decide an am lyk "yay!" n den dey av 2 spoil da moment by sayin "but if u do law den u get paid gud... u get respected....n so on.

so rely i dnt no wot am gonna b doin in da future..i'd prob take afta ma dad n do buisness n den go wiv ma mum n do law .....buisness lawya :D inshallah

Dj_Shawn
Settled In

Post by Dj_Shawn » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:51 pm

Platinum_Pwincess dun worry about it... growing up and while attending elementry school ( here in canada we have different schools so elementry would be from kindergarden to grade7 then high school is from grade 8 to 12 after 12 u graduate and go to uni or college or something) anyways back to my story... while in elementry I had sooo much pressure from everyone in my family aunts uncles u name it everyone honestly I would go over to my aunts house for a party or something and my uncle or someone older would test us in math and spelling and what not I HATED IT and i did very poorly in school so it added to the frusteration.... so what i can say is relax let them say what they say its all ment to be good nothing bad at all they love u and thats why u get the pressure that u do... and that goes for everyone really i am sure when we are put in that possition and we have kids of our own we will probably do the same thing.... its something parents want and that is their kids to be successfull in life.... thas all

cuzzyclick
AM Newbie

Post by cuzzyclick » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:34 pm

OoOoOo I like dis topic HmMm.. wel as im only 15 yh n i gt a lot of decisions 2 mek l8a in lyf!!! i always ea ma parents seyin 'so wa u wanna b wen u olda' im lyk :( idno!!

FIRSTLY: parents been der in d work industry dey noe lyk wa jobs r suitable n dah gemme so sumtyms yh dey can giv u advice on wa path 2 choose

Secondly: Every parent has a choice (even myn) :P they prolly ave a wish da yh i wnt my daughter 2 bcum dis n dah gemme buh nt everyfin can go according 2 der wish

Lastly: Parents wnt u nt 2 struggle in lyf esp wiv finance every parent wnts der child 2 ave a successful career so prolly das y dey sey 'BE A DOCTA, SOLICITOR'etc
At the end of the day ish up 2 u wa u wanna b dnt do it jus 4 ur parents cus dey nt gna work"" U R do suttin u enjoy n dah buh at the sme tym mek sure dah ur parents agrre and r appi wiv wa u r doin

:P Fank u 4 tkin ur tym n reading ma opinion :P
[FONT=Impact]XXxxCuzzyxxXX

Brown Eyed Beauty
Advanced Member

Post by Brown Eyed Beauty » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:09 pm

good point MissS hmmm i remember a pretty funny conversation a few years back:

Ana: mum, dad i've decided i want to be a teacher

'Rents: nooo it's not challenging enough! you need to do a challenge job!

Grandad: Hey how about medicine? you could be a pharmacist or whatever...

Ana: What's a pharmacist :|
(o yeah did i mention i was only 6...!)

I think parents like to have the satisfaction of knowing that their children are doing good jobs of their choice and stuff. But sometimes they take it overboard.

Have you ever noticed in the Bollywood movies or the programmes on TV that whenever a son in a prestigious job calls from somewhere they always say its america? someone answers the phone and says "Maa, bhaiyya ka phone hai America se!" and mum comes running. OF COURSE THE MUM KNOWS WHERE HER OWN SON'S FROM! that's what i mean uno. Well i think we have to be grateful that our parents' are giving us SOME kind of support or push in life rather than telling us to piss off at 18 :|

but on a different note: have you ever noticed how parents spend the first few years of our lives teaching us to walk and talk...and spend the rest of our lives telling us to sit down and shut up :$...
The world's not getting smaller, there's just less in it.

kp86

Post by kp86 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:24 pm

omg parents.... if you pissed off and see this topic you all type loads and i you not pissed off then its fair!!! but omg parents are caring and stuff and look after you and make you understand.... an give you good advice but sometimes they just vex me off BIG tym....

cuzzy
Silver Member

Post by cuzzy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:15 pm

lol they vex us off because they care for us and dont want us to get hurt but ah man if only they could see from our point of view :shock:

kp86

Post by kp86 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:03 pm

ufffffffffffffffffffffffffffff................ :cry: this things....... i hate my masi man stirring shit between me and my parents.....

x Meenal x
Advanced Member

Post by x Meenal x » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:29 am

awww kinali dont worry babee.. everyones parents are like that and its more worse because your asian! tut! I will never be soo harsh on my kiddies! x
*Indian Pwincess!*